Friday, January 13, 2012

Less Cute Than A Baby Polar Bear


I'd seen this one on other blogs, but not been able to find it.  Then I decided that, as a good Minneapolitan (??), I needed to stop in and visit the Electric Fetus, our local iconic record store.  Of course, as soon as I walked in listening to a podcast on my iPhone, I realized that there really isn't anything I want to buy at a record store.  But if you're the type of person who buys music on discs (digital or vinyl), or you're interested in other gifts and funky merchandise, you should go.  I didn't buy anything.

But the trip wasn't wasted.  I got a little exercise, and on the way out, bam, there is the sign.  I'm so proud.  I rock.

So, Knudson's Department Store, as Mr. Lileks points out (link above), wasn't very big.  The building houses a good sized record store for today, but big box it is not.  I've not been able to find much the sign's retailer, although someone included it in their neighborhood scavenger hunt (pdf).  It's now right next to the freeway, so maybe its history disappeared under the concrete with the rest of the surrounding commercial district.

And, of course, it's another Scandinavian last name, so there is a lot of noise in the search results.  Obligatory Flickr link here.

Finally, as far as I know, this has nothing to do with the sign, but how could I not bring you a photo of someone named Knud Knudson?

No comments:

Post a Comment